Friday, March 18, 2011

The Next Phase


How do you explain all of the mixed feelings that go with a retirement? After 22 years as an EOD tech in the United States Navy, Shawn has retired. As I watched him listening to the words being spoken about him at his ceremony I could see a tear or two, and I knew he was reflecting, as I was, on all of the wonderful, terrible, proud, fearful moments that were experienced as we moved thru deployments, separations, robberies, hellos, goodbyes, natural disasters and losses of some of his brethren in the community that we have known for so long.

Now we move on to another chapter. It seems strange that I am no longer 'the Senior Chief's wife", although I know that I will always be an 'EOD wife'. The friends that we have made in our travels, the wonders we have seen, will be with us always.

Thank you, Shawn, for a wonderful adventure. I love you.

2 comments:

  1. Words well spoken Kori, I enjoyed watching you both at the retirement ceremony and seeing in your faces the reminder of the past. You and Shawn have traveled a road together side by side keeping each other supported for this first 22 years. May your new road that you travel be interesting and full of different challenges. It was a pleasure and an honor to see Shawn at work on his last day at the "Shawn Meyer Wall of Fire"! What a BLAST! Gwain

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations to Shawn and you Kori on an honorable career - sorry that Dori and I couldn't be out there for the ceremony!

    ReplyDelete