Saturday, December 29, 2012

Splittin' My Time


  

Since I quit working full time in early summer of this year I have tried to balance my time between Nevada and California.  It can be quite a juggling act, leaving me feeling guilty sometimes no matter which way I go.  Brandon has been great about taking on the job of taking care of the dogs while I traipse around California, and Erika has filled in occasionally even though she now lives with her boyfriend, Jordan (pictured above).  So when I am in Fallon and one of the kids invites me to take part in something I try to do it.

In September Jordan took part in a roping event in Reno with a horse he has been training, Callie.  I have never been to anything like this and it is a new "culture" exposure for me.  I really enjoyed myself!  I took a LOT of photos of this new venue, and to be honest, not a lot of them were noteworthy.  It was good practice, though, and something I would like to explore.  The "cowboy" life seems to be full of hard-working people who all know each other and greet each other as old friends.  The first photo above is of Jordan warming Callie up before their event, the event itself, and then of Erika and Callie outside the arena.  I think that this straightforward lifestyle seems to suit her and she and Jordan seem to be good to each other.



One of the opportunities I am trying to take advantage of while in California is to visit the various Spanish missions up and down the coastal areas.  During a trip back to Monterey with Shawn the transfer case on our Dodge came apart right as we got into San Juan Bautista on Hwy 88.  While waiting for the tow truck I noticed signs for a mission there.  After doing a little bit of research I decided that this would be the first one I would visit and went back a couple of days later in the Volvo while Shawn was working.  San Juan Bautista is a very cute little town, but I will have to go back again when I don't have the dogs with me.  I did get to explore the mission and surrounding grounds though.  I love the architecture and the simplicity of these old buildings.




The next weekend Shawn and I went to Carmel to see the San Carlos Borromeo de Carmelo mission or simply, Carmel Mission.  This was the second mission built in California, and one of the more well-known to tourists.  This mission was almost completely destroyed when restoration was begun in 1921, and is currently undergoing more work as well.  I will hope to return after the scaffolding is gone!  For more info on this mission see:
http://www.missionscalifornia.com/keyfacts/san-carlos-borremeo-de-carmelo.html

No comments:

Post a Comment