Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Settling In

My father seems to have accepted that he is now living with Shawn and I. He does fairly well most days, but the worst ones are when he gets a shower, especially if I help him. I believe that to have his daughter help him bathe is the ultimate sign of his dependency on others and he is always weepy and irritable when it is done. I try to reassure him that he can still get stronger with a little bit of work, but despite his words stating that he doesn't want to be an invalid he has no will to make it otherwise.

The other night he seemed to be plotting his escape. He asked me how far we were from his home and when I told him that it was about 2300 miles away he exclaimed, "You're kidding!!!" He pondered that for a few moments, then asked me where the nearest big town was. I exaggerated only slightly and told him that Reno was a little over 100 miles away. Then he asked the clincher: "Does it have transportation - an airport and bus station?" Hmmm...

Then last night he asked when he would get to move back home. How do you answer that one without breaking his heart?

No comments:

Post a Comment